Friday, September 29, 2006

Some early learning points

I know its early days, but I was thinking about learning experiences after working through the documentation from the first unit. I think if I note these down, then I will keep coming back to them and hopefully remember the damn things for next time!

Some early learning points:
-- when reading TAKE NOTES based on the text and not what you are thinking.
-- when reading WRITE DOWN THE PAGE REFERENCES.
-- its never too early to start reading.
-- read before you think.
-- think before you write.

Just had to get that off my chest before I could move on!!

2 comments:

Sergio said...

Wise words Tom. However, I would add in your note-taking point that it is good to take notes of what you're thinking in addition to your summary. As the end of the day, it's not just information you're after, but also it's application to your "knowledge universe". And that can only happen when you have "digested" it (in my case that happens often when I'm taking naps or showers...how ackward! Oh yes, and after a good conversation with peers, students or senior academics).

Cheers,
Sergio

Tom said...

I think the key words there are "in addition". I tend to get carried away with the thought and forget what was written in the first place.

Unfortunately I am finding that my "best" ideas (in the loosest sense of the term) come at inconvenient hours of the day: e.g. at work when I am meant to be thinking of something else. tsk tsk.